Author Topic: Linux suppor (not quite sure where to post this)  (Read 10772 times)

Offline ZS5S

• Remote Enthusiast
Linux suppor (not quite sure where to post this)
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:45:56 am »
with the development of the Raspberry PI computer I wonder if the linux version of the server will ever be re-looked at.  the
Raspberry PI really lends itself to the type of operation that RemoteHams does its small, uses very little power to run and that means it can be installed on a high-site or in a shack that does not have much space for a Windows PC,

I really think that it needs to be re looked at

Shaun (ZR5SF)
BTW Keep up the good work

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
Re: Linux suppor (not quite sure where to post this)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37:01 am »
The goal is to support Windows XP and newer.  Other OS support comes with 3rd party tools such as Mono .NET and WINE.

RCForb Server is built using the .NET Framework 4.0. It may possible to run on Linux using WINE.
You also need WINE-MONO installed. I have tried to load the client this way, but WINE can not translate all the library calls RCForb Client is using.
I was able to load RCForb on my Fedora 18 box using WINE. I did not try hosting a remote.  This is not officially supported.

vk3jed

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
Linux support is a big issue in this part of the world?  Why?  because it is tied to power consumption.  If it was possible to run RCForb server on a low powered Linux box, the savings can be significant.  I'm in the process of bringing my IRLP and Echolink systems back online using a Raspberry Pi to minimise power consumption, and all future infrastructure would be the same sort of deal.

Client side would be preferable to be cross platform.  I use a Mac most of the time.  I can run Windows under VMware Fusion, but rarely do this these days, the few Windows apps I run regularly run fine under Crossover.  Besides, I can always use the shack computer if I need native Windows for client use (just too expensive to run it 24x7 :) ).

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
A Raspberry PI is not a standard PC platform while it does run Linux, its performance for real-time applications may be very limited.  It also runs a proprietary version of Linux specially for the PI.  Any Linux distro does not work on it.  Anyway,  there are OTHER solutions to LOW POWER consumption via a PC.  The little ATOM based processor PC's  can run of 12v and usually pull less then 90W. This is what I use to run my remotes...dedicated ATOM PC.

The ideal solution to something like the Raspberry PI is to support the Android platform. There are even lower power consuming devices for android platform.

I have something to the effect of below...

little ATOM PC to left of monitor....

vk3jed

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »
I hope you mean "9W", not "90W". :)

Offline m3ghe

• Support Tech
  • Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 01:58:25 am »
7.5 amps would seem a tad excessive. Saying that the Eee Box I have here that uses the Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz processor is supplied with a 12 volt 3 amp PSU so that's a max of 36 watts.

Barney 

Offline pa3met

• Just starting...
Re: Linux support (not quite sure where to post this)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 06:25:33 am »

all,

I still would opt for a more portable way so that linux users aren't left out.
There at least is already a good way of controlling TRX using hamlib.

I now am 'forced' to use windows (old laptop) connected to the TRX.
Same holds for RS-BA1 software obviously also windows only.

Offline do1di

• Just starting...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:20 am »
Hello Ham's,

nur am Rande...
Ich würde mir auch zumindest die SERVER Software auf LINUX basierend wünschen für die Zukunft.
SERVER Plattformen sollten auf ein Stabiles OS laufen,
schon alleine der Stabilität, unbeaufsichtigter laufender Software, und der ganzen Viren Problematik etc...pp..

Vielleicht wird es ja mal was ?
P.S.
Die APP wurde ja auch mit Hilfe von und unter Ubuntu programmiert :)

do1di / dieter

Offline sp5iou

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:09:39 am »
Hi.
I was dreaming about raspberry pi 2 Server untill i found Windows tablet for 50$.
I am running my Server on that. Windows 10 4 core atom CPU.
In this situation there is no need for Linux anymore. It Consumer up to 6W Power.