Author Topic: Thinking of setting up a remote radio. What do I need to make it work?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline w3pal

• Just starting...
I'm sure this question was asked before but I could not find a detailed answer.
The radios are: Yaesu FTDX3000D, Yaesu Ft857D and Yeasu FT1000MP-Mark5 Field.
Which radio would be best fitted for the remote control? I would rather use my FT857D since it's the cheapest and works reasonably well.
Can anyone tell me "step by step" what I need to make it work with remotehams.com? I'm not an IT guru and have never linked any of my radios to a computer. I have a USB SignaLink interface.
Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:30:10 pm by w3pal »

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
The FTDX 3000 would be the easiest to setup, as it has a USB interface to the computer that handles both the CAT and audio interface. The proper computer drivers are available on the Yaesu website. The FT 857D would also be fairly easy to setup with the Signalink. Both these radios have built in radios drivers, in the RCForb server.

The FT1000MP would require using Ham Radio Deluxe between the server and the radio. Although the server supports HRD, it's just one more thing to setup and using HRD does decrease the responsiveness of the remote.

Usually the most difficult problem for most people are opening and forwarding the ports in their router. The server does have the capability to open and forward ports automatically on some routers, but you may have to do it manually. 

Here is a link to a general overview of setting up a server. It's also included in the server installation and may be accessed under the Help Menu.

http://beta.remotehams.com/orb/RCForb_Server_Manual.pdf
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w3pal

• Just starting...
Setting up remote server for my FTDX3000. Need help.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:58:48 pm »
I installed USB drivers for my FTDX3000D and tried connecting it to the RCForb server. Nothing is working so far. The server can not recognize the radio. There is very little information available from Yaesu on how to use the radio's USB port to control both audio and data. I guess they assume that everyone is a computer expert.
I was wondering if anyone has done it with a FTDX3000? I'm totally confused. I read the RCForb server manual but it only contains general guidelines on the subject.

Update: Found another thread about setting up a FTDX3000. Changed Menu #40 (CAT RTS) to DISABLE.
The radio was recognized but I'm having issues with port forwarding.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:32:28 pm by w3pal »

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: Thinking of setting up a remote radio. What do I need to make it work?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:44 am »
There is a lot of information at http://www.portforward.com  They may have instructions for your specific make and model of router.

If you're still having trouble getting the ports forwarded, put TeamViewer ( http:// www.teamviewer.com) on the computer and send me a private message with the ID and password.

My Skype is remotew8rj.

Roger
W8RJ
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w3jvc

• Just starting...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:17 am »
So - I don't think anyone every answered one to the original questions regarding this topic.  I also have an FT-857 that I am setting up for a remote.  I have the following -

New computer with Quad Core AMD processor Running Windows 10, 4 GB Ram. This computer is dedicated to running the RFORB server program.
CAT62 USB cable
SignaLink-USB-p-n-SLUSB6PM
FT857
RJ45-RJ45 cable
Off center fed multi band HF Antenna
2Meter/ 70cm Ham Stick Antena
60-70 Mbps Internet connection via Ethernet to the web
Specified ports are open.

I would like to be certain that all connections between devices are correct AND that menu settings within the FT857 are correctly set. 
I think that detailed instructions are important when setting up different radios -and haven't seen any - and have looked for weeks.

Thanks

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 01:59:30 pm »
An overview of the server may be found under the Help menu in the server.

Here's a thread that descibes some issues with a FT857 and a Signalink (that was found by searching for Signalink in the forums searchbox)
http://www.remotehams.com/forums/index.php/topic,2401.msg10672.html#msg10672

Other than the Signalink issue, it's pretty straight forward.

Roger
W8RJ