Author Topic: AILS operation in Australia  (Read 5009 times)

VK7AE

AILS operation in Australia
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:45 am »

Hi everyone,
                      For those people who want to investigate the status of this type of operation
                      in Australia, can find out further reading material Fact Sheet info, from the ACMA.

Please click the link below. 

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Consumer-info/All-about-spectrum/Marine-and-Amateur-Radio/amateur-internet-linking-systems-ails-fact-sheet

Andre
VK7AE

vk3jed

Re: AILS operation in Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:27:05 am »
One issue that was never clarified was unattended voice station operation.  Some say it requires a repeater licence, others say it doesn't.  When I setup my IRLP node, I simply made it a repeater, got the licence and R call to match.  But repeaters require assigned frequencies.  Remote bases, by definition, are frequency agile, so no assigned frequency.  The fact sheet never really seemed to clarify that.  The result is some simplex IRLP nodes use a repeater Rxx callsign (with frequency assignments), some don't.

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:16 am »
I am not 100% sure this applies to an "online remote base".   I think they are referring to "internet linking". Using the internet to link two "amatuer" stations together, not using the internet to link the operator to a single station.  The operator himself is not an amateur station.

If you were to use ORB to link "two" remote bases together, then it would fall in this category, similar to IRLP.

Thanks for posting this, I will do more reading!

vk3jed

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:58:36 pm »
The AILS fact sheet refers to "interconnection of an amateur station to a public telecommunications network", which covers both IRLP style operation, as well as remote bases.  So that will determine who can setup a remote base (i.e. Standard and Advanced, but not Foundation licensees), and who can use one (i.e. all licensed amateurs), as well as the requirement to prevent non amateurs from transmitting using your station (the facilities provided by remotehams.com should meet this requirement).  However, there is some ambiguity in another part of the regulations, which are the rules for operating unattended, which refer to teletype and "computer controlled modes", the latter being ambiguous, given that computers can control just about any mode.

Another key consideration or two (mentioned in the fact sheet and clearly stated in the regs), which people often forget are identification of the station, as well as a watchdog timer, independent of the software (i.e. hardware timer, external micro such as a PIC, or a timer built into the radio or interface).  Sadly one thing missing in the long feature list of the IC-7000, so another good reason to remain Rx only, until that detail is sorted.

The schematic of a remote base is not unlike one of the possible configurations of Echolink, with RF at one end, and a PC (or smartphone) user on the other end, the only difference being that the remote base is frequency agile.