Author Topic: RCForb server HRD IP server emulation.  (Read 5860 times)

Offline m3ghe

• Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
RCForb server HRD IP server emulation.
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:53:06 am »
Quick Question for Brandon.
In the server there is the option for HRD IP server emulation, have you made this so it only accepts same machine connections as in localhost/127.0.0.1 ?
I ask as I tried to connect from another PC on the network ports forwarded etc and it didn't connect, it is "actively refused" .
Nothing else is running on that port on that machine or on the network.

Barney

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
Re: RCForb server HRD IP server emulation.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:37:38 am »
Yes, the built-in IP Server emulation is bound to "localhost/127.0.0.1" and will only accept connection from that interface. Is there a need for this emulation to be available over the network?  If that is the case, you should be able to open the client on the other computer,  with IP Server Emulation enabled in it.  The idea is, the IP Server has absolutely no security,  so the best protection is to only accept local connections only.

Offline m3ghe

• Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
No real need for it, just something I noticed while playing about and as you well know that is something I do a lot of!  :D ;D

Barney

vk3jed

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
It would be nice to have the option to bind another IP, and then restrict access to the local subnet(s) or even specific hosts via an IP filter in the software.  I do a lot of my digital operating over the LAN as it is, usually with VNC.  For when I'm away from home, I use an IPSec VPN, which I can access using any of my mobile devices, so I still appear on the local subnet, as far as IP addressing is concerned.

Considering installing RCForb, and looking at how I can integrate it into the shack and how I operate.

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:50:49 pm »
Do you want the IP Server in RCForb Server or Client to accept connections from the local network?

I can make it so the server accepts IP Server connects from local network IPs......but the client I will not.

vk3jed

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »
In my case, yes, it would be handy to be able to access the HRD emulation on the server over the LAN.  I agree that the client is best left to localhost only.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:31:24 pm by vk3jed »

do4gr

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 10:44:22 am »
I just checked this with the latest RCForb server of 09th January 2016 and it still seems to be restricted to 127.0.0.1

Just want ask if it's intended to change this behaviour as stated here on that topic. It would be nice if an admin can run the RCForb Server (HRD IP Server) to allow "ANY" subnet or at least a pre-defined subnet or IP range or something like that.

Please keep us informed about it. Thanks a lot in advance

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but I just ran into the issue.

I was trying to have my Raspberry Pi connect to the HRD IP server in RCForb, but then I read this thread that said this was only on the local interface. I understand the security issue so I would like the option to make the interface available to the network if possible.

On a related topic, does anyone have a good example program of the commands that are emulated? I want to write a simple interfacer to monitor the rig and report it another app. The HRD IP server interface would be good but the only HRD reference I have is version 6. If anyone could share that HRD v5 commands, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Tom NY4I

Do you want the IP Server in RCForb Server or Client to accept connections from the local network?

I can make it so the server accepts IP Server connects from local network IPs......but the client I will not.
Tom NY4I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:15 am »
There used to be a webpage that KG6YPI actually wrote about the IP server protocol, but I can't seem to find it. If you can read C# a bit, I attached the HRDV5 driver's source. Hope this is helpful

Roger
W8RJ

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 11:31:42 am »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:29:43 am »
Thanks. I did run across that web page. The issue is that whomever wrote that, left some stuff out. You cannot just use a telnet or Putty client as there is binary header data that has to be present (signature, length).

I found a very good reference to write programs from the client perspective: https://forums.ham-radio-deluxe.com/node/40968

That completed the picture for me.

Thanks,

Tom NY4I
Tom NY4I