Author Topic: Port forwarding issues?  (Read 81 times)

Offline ve3jaq

• Just starting...
Port forwarding issues?
« on: June 11, 2018, 06:33:57 am »
Hello all,  I am a recent member of this forum and a newbe with Remotehams.com.   I have an issue which just started to arise.  Previously I was able to connect and operate my rig remotely.   The server RCforb was working fine and the ports were been forwarded.  Then I started it up one day and everything started fine as before but I could not connect with the client.  I ran the "Test ports" in the publishing tab and it showed that the ports were closed even though the console indicated that the ports were being forwarded.  Does anyone know what the problem could be?   My firewall has exceptions for those ports. 

Thanks
Dennis

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: Port forwarding issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:48:19 am »
If the local IP of your server computer changed and you have been relying on the UPnP feature to automatically forward the ports some router will show accepting the new rule, but since it conflicting with a previous rule, it really doesn't take. If this is the problem, close the server, power down and power the router back up, and restart the server.

If you actually went into your router and set port forwarding rules, the most common problem will be that the local IP of the server computer changed. You will need to double check that in your router.

You can permenatly fix both these issues by giving your server computer a static IP. This is best done in the router by setting a DHCP reservation so your server computer always receives the same IP from the router.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ve3jaq

• Just starting...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply.   I did not set the port forwarding in the router itself as the service automatically set it using UPnP and it worked for a while.  Interestingly enough the IP address changed a couple of times with no issues but I suppose eventually it could not find the right address.  Are there instructions on how to do this?  Will setting DHCP reservation conflict up my internet access since I normally use dynamic DHCP. 

Thanks,
Dennis

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:47:19 am »
You do the DHCP address reservation in the router. Basically what it does, is reserves the same local address for a specific computer when it asks for an IP address from the DHCP server in the router.

Each router is different in setting it up. It will be somewhere on the LAN or DHCP setup of your router.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:37:00 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ