Author Topic: Remote control timers and wait to tune policy  (Read 57 times)

Offline ac7av

• Remote Enthusiast
Remote control timers and wait to tune policy
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:57:47 pm »
Do to the growing popularity of my remote station I have started encountering a more frequently accruing problem where people log in and immediately start tuning the radio.  I have implemented now the wait to tune police but that doesn't totally fix the problem.  There doesn't seem to be separate timing settings for the wait to tune and TOT settings.  Both are different functions.  Also if someone is on a net and maybe doesn't TX for a while but the wait to tune function times out, the new operator can take over.  This might not normally be such a problem if the wait to tune would reset whenever the control operator transmits on the remote.  That way the control operator would not lose control after the log in timer “wait to tune timer” of the new user runs out. 

I know this is not a problem with seasoned remote operators but the new people that don’t realize what they are doing or understand how it works, is where this is all coming from. 

Also the wait to tune doesn't seem to apply if someone logs in and no one else is logged in.  This function only seems to work if someone is already logged in and using the remote. 

Any chance that any of these will be address in later version of the server, or is it already here and I just don’t know how to use it?

Thanks
Erik
AC7AV 

Online m3ghe

• Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
Re: Remote control timers and wait to tune policy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:33:28 pm »

Also the wait to tune doesn't seem to apply if someone logs in and no one else is logged in.  This function only seems to work if someone is already logged in and using the remote.

Thanks
Erik
AC7AV 

If nobody is logged in there would be no need to 'Wait To Tune'. The only time that would be needed is if the owner was controlling the radio manually, but that is already covered and prevents the remote being used for a period specified by you. 

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:32 am »
Instead of enforcing Wait to Tune, try enforcing the Ask to Tune.

You also can prioritize TX or Club Members by enabling the "Auto Restrict" feature. What this does is a non-TX user can't tune the radio if there is a TX user already logged in.

You could also consider running your remote in the Club mode. With Club mode, a user must be a member of the club to tune. The drawback to the Club mode, is TX privileges are a 2 step process, one granting Club status, and another step granting TX privileges.

If you find a user that is particularly troublesome, you can always ban them from your remote.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ac7av

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:09:22 am »
Thanks for the response.  I see that the wait to tune does not work unless someone else is logged in.  I didn't realize that at first also, but it didn't take too long to figure it out. 

Is there a wait to tune timer setting independent of the TOT timer setting?

I have turned on the ask to tune and wait to tune function.  I don’t think it really matters if someone is on the TX list or Club list, the problem is more of people not understanding how the remote thing works.  It’s just lately that I've had some issues with people getting upset about someone logging in and taking over.  As long as I can put the brakes on that a bit, I think it will be fine.  I don’t want to discourage new users from trying it out, that’s what this is all about anyway, but there is a bit of a learning curve on everything to look at and understand.  It all makes sense once you understand it.  It hasn't been a year for me and I’m still learning new stuff about it.

Good to know about the “Auto Restrict” function.  I didn't check that because I didn't want nonmembers to be limited if no one was using the remote.  So now that I know it won’t limit their ability to tune the remote if no one is on, I will check that box.

Thanks
Erik
AC7AV

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:33:55 am »
They are independent. The TOT timer is strictly a timer for transmission length.

The "Wait to Tune" feature is fixed at 10 minutes. Once a user is tuning with the feature, he has 10 minutes to use the radio. If there are others waiting, they will be given their 10 minutes to use the radio. A green flashing circle on the skin shows on the client that it their turn for 10 minutes time.

I personally think the Wait to Tune feature is cumbersome and confusing for users, and not worth using. If you have Ask to Tune enabled and there is more than one user connected, they have to Ask to Tune. If the user already connected doesn't respond in a minute or so, my attitude is that person can go ahead and use the remote. I have found that users typically sort out disagreements all by themselves.

On my remote I have Require Login to Tune, Ask to Tune, Turn TX on Disconnect, and Auto Restrict enabled. The rest are disabled.

**correction**
The Wait to Tune allots 20 minutes of tune time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:44:57 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ