Author Topic: kenwood ts 450  (Read 1057 times)

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
kenwood ts 450
« on: January 17, 2018, 08:13:52 pm »
Hello I am trying to set up my ts450 as a remote and I am having trouble with  the set up.  I am  getting a message that error radio connection problem(generic) .  Failed to start app open.  any help would be appreciated

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: kenwood ts 450
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:03 am »
Double check the following on the Radio Config  (Options->Radio Configuration)

1) Proper serial port selected.
2) Proper baud rate (speed)
3) Neither the RTS or DTR checkbox should be checked.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:02:31 am »
Roger, 
I have the proper com port selected.  No DTR or RTS pins selected.  When the program starts the radios transmit light clicks on 3 separate times.  So it seems it is doing something to the radio?

I am hoping I can get this remote working mainly so i can use when at work on slow days.  Anyway I am at work right now so if there is anything else that you could think of please suggest.  I am new to the remote thing.  I have used remotes for awhile but first time to set up my own.  Thanks again.

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:25 am »
what would the proper baud rate be?  I might not have that one right

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:32:59 am »
The default for Kenwood's is 4800.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:36:59 am »
ok thank you

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:27:40 am »
There is a chance you may need to check the RTS checkbox, if the CAT cable you have ties the RTS to CTS pins to fool the hardware handshaking normally required with Kenwood radios
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »
OK I tried the RTS,  Baud at 4800.  Still nothing.  Now I may not have the connections to radio done right.  I have an interface connected to the back accessory jack.  I also have a cable to connect to the side date jack  Do I need both of these setup.  I think I answered my own question.  It says TS 450 ready.  Thanks for the help

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks for the help it is working now.  Another question can I turn off my remote from my phone if someone gets on it that i dont want on it?  Another thing is how to add a tuning function to the remote.  On the app it just says tune not allowed is that a setting i need to set up.  Currently I am just using this for testing purposes but eventually want to be able to tune it as well.  Also i have nothing on the remote to adjust power is there a way to add that as well.  Thanks again  really appreciate the help.

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:34 am »
The TS-450 being a pretty old radio has limited computer commands to control the radio. There is no RF Power control, nor any commands to control the Tuner (ATU).

You should give yourself Admin right on your own remote (Options->User Manager->Edit your record)

You can control who can use your remote through basic security and by using the Club Mode (publishing tab).

If you run your remote in the Club mode, users can connect , but unless you grant them Club rights they can't manupilate any controls. Users can't transmit unless you grant them transmit privledges.

There is a help pdf that gives you a general overview avaialble under the Help Menu in the server or here:
http://beta.remotehams.com/orb/RCForb_Server_Manual.pdf

Roger
W8RJ

Offline w8lpn

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:30 am »
Ok thank you for the info.  I was wondering about the rf power and tuner since its older radio.  Thanks again for the help.