Author Topic: A few questions about power on  (Read 580 times)

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
A few questions about power on
« on: December 08, 2017, 05:06:40 am »
I have scoured this message board trying to get a good sense of the power on capability when using a K3. I have read questions about this topic only to see the answer be to use some sort of USB switch with a driver but what is not clear is if the PWR button in the UI will control anything other than the RTS for power ON (on the radio configuration screen) on the serial port connected to the radio.

I have a real COM port connected to the K3. If I understand this right, I need to break out the radio side of the DB9 to connect RTS through a switching circuit to the pin in the AUX connector to power ON the radio. Is that right? If so, I am curious how some have done this.

I imagine it is either have a simple switching circuit on the computer or radio side and connect RTS on the serial line through the switching circuit to pin 7 (K# PWR ON) and ground on the AUX connector. Is that right?

As I said, if that is right, I am curious what people have rigged up to break this out. I guess I could envision a homemade DB9 with the radio side having a pigtail coming out to go to the switching circuit and then the K3 AUX port. Does that sound right?

I also read where people asked for the ability to specify not only which PIN to use but to allow a separate serial port to be used for the Power On switch. If that is indeed a feature request, I add another vote for it.

Lastly, with connecting another item to the AUX port, I presume when running an AMP, this would require a AUX port y cable (I have the straight through kind versus VGA). I personally use a K3 AUX breakout box called the Y Box by N6TV. That is nice as I can split AUX four ways and there is an RCA jack on the front to connect to the POWER ON pin. 

I would appreciate anyone setting me straight on my assumptions.

Thanks,

Tom NY4I
Tom NY4I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: A few questions about power on
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:02:59 am »
Presently the server only supports toggling the RTS pin with an open collector switch shorting pin 8 of the ACC connector to ground. This is accessed in Radio Configuration by enabling "RTS for Power On". The RTS pin is hard coded in the K3 driver.

Don't know if you found these two threads, but here they are.
http://www.remotehams.com/forums/index.php/topic,932.msg4067.html#msg4067
http://www.remotehams.com/forums/index.php/topic,1327.msg5679.html#msg5679

Roger
W8RJ

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:33:39 am »
I had seen those two. And yes, pin 8. I was looking at the ACC chart int he K3 book and stopped at pin 7 (K3S ON) but that is different.

The RTS pin has to be from the SAME serial port being used for the radio serial interface. Is that right? I ask as I do not see anyway to specify which COM port to use for RTS so I assume it is implied to be the same as the serial interface to the radio.

If that is true, I was curious is people just make home grown cables or put a custom end on it with a pigtail to route ground and the RTS line through the NPN switch to pin 8 on the AUX port.

The NPN switch we are talking about would be any standard CW or PTT interface circuit, right? I have made those through the years. I suspect it would be the same type circuit.

Thanks,

Tom NY4I
Tom NY4I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:13:22 am »
Yes, it's the RTS line on the same serial port as the radio.

Yes. the NPN switch we are talking about would be any standard CW or PTT interface circuit.

I really have no idea exactly how people accomplish the hardware end of things. I just leave my K3 on all the time.

Roger
W8RJ

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:34:12 am »
Thanks for the info.

If anyone else that has done this would like to comment, I am curious how you wired this up on a K3.

Tom NY4I
Tom NY4I