Author Topic: ORB device questions  (Read 12 times)

Offline kb8cr

• Remote Enthusiast
ORB device questions
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:41:48 pm »
I'm considering the purchase of an ORB device, primarily for use with my IC7100 on Remotehams. (It's almost ready to go live)

But I'm also thinking it might be able to be used for CW keying on my Flex 6400 with a program that someone has written for the Flex. (The program takes key input from a serial port)

Does the ORB device operate (with regard to paddle CW) in the same manner as the serial keying cable I have made for use with RCForb? (ie: toggling the serial lines)

I assume that the AF chain in the device is a USB sound device that could be accessed in Windows?

Or, am I wrong about these things, and the device is proprietary and works only with the RCForb client?

Thanks.

de Charlie KB8CR

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: ORB device questions
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:14:13 am »
The sound device can be used for anything you want, it's just a plain old sound card in the OrbBox.

The paddle and PTT just raise and lower signal lines on a serial port. The signal lines used are the default ones in the Client. Remember the signal lines used for a pair of paddles are just that. The software in the Client is what turns the paddles signal line into an "electronic" keyer.
Roger
W8RJ