Author Topic: CW Sidetone  (Read 286 times)

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
CW Sidetone
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:08:10 am »
I'm trying to setup a client for an elderly Ham, who primarily uses CW on our local club remote.  He has an old XP machine, but I can only get the old client to work, and there are too many CW issues with that.  So, I'm setting up a Win 7 laptop and the newer client. 

The problem seems to be that the sidetone at times has an echo, caused by the local CW keyboard sidetone, and the tone that comes from the transmitter, after the CW Delay (vox) drops out.  I have both the CW (options) "Enable Sidetone" and "Enable Keyboard Sidetone" checked.  I've set the "BK IN Delay" to maximum and also set the Sidetone "Pitch" to a higher freqeuncy so that it's easier to distinguish between the two tones. 

I would hope that this would be enough, but I'm concerned that he may still have trouble.  I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for him (I do need to re-write the instructions for him, considering that this is the new client, vs the old client writeup that I gave him previously.)

Is there any way to get rid of the tone echo that it coming from the rig transmit and just keep the local tone for sending characters?  I think that he would like to use his "bug", and I have the system (server and client) setup to allow it to work. Server rig is a IC-7300.

Mike, W0IH

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: CW Sidetone
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
I suggest turning the radio's sidetone off, as the new Client can provide sidetone for both paddles and keyboard.

There is a sidetone slider to control the sidetone volume on the radio, so an op can set the radios sidetone volume depending on which Client they are using.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »
Roger,

Thanks!  I found that I had the "Sidetone" slider disabled.  I enabled it on the server and I can now turn the sidetone slider down, so that there is no longer the echo!

Really appreciate the help.

Mike, W0IH

Offline va7cab

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:58 pm »
I've heard the same thing with my TS-480. Even though I have both TX monitor and CW sidetone turned off on the 480 I can here the CW I send. When I turn on the client's CW sidetone it essentially tracks my sending to about 100ms and drowns out the 480's sidetone.

Any ideas what might be going on?

73 Chris VA7CAB

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:48:28 am »
Maybe where you're taking receive audio, has the sidetone on all the time for some reason.

I would double check the menu settings in the radio. I see a Beep Level, try turning that off too.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline va7cab

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:31:01 pm »
On the rig beep is turned off, sidetone is off, and TX monitor is off. I'm using DTR on the server side with a Microham USB interface.

Everything I send is echoed back, but it's usable to the extent that I only hear the last few dits and dahs. since there is no QSK (it's OK for a ragchew).

The sidetone *is* coming from the rig as I've adjusted the RX pitch on the 480 and what I'm hearing tracks that adjustment. However, the sidetone is *not* heard when I'm actually at the rig since the sidetone volume is set at 0.

I don't understand how this could be unless the 480 driver is somehow overriding the menu settings I've physically set on the rig.

Any ideas?

73 Chris VA7CAB

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 04:38:22 am »
I assume you are taking RX audio from the data jack (fixed level). One thing I can think of, is the sidetone is emitted out that output all the time. The other is somehow your MicroHam interface is emitting the sidetone.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline va7cab

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:17:53 pm »
That must be it as I am indeed taking audio out of the Data jack. I'll hook it up via the speaker jack when I get a cable.

Thanks! 73 Chris VA7CAB

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 05:21:41 am »
You could test the theory by connecting some headphones to the RX audio at the data jack.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline va7cab

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:17 pm »
Yup, mystery solved. The sidetone is coming out of the "data" port's 1200 baud audio whether or not the rig's sidetone is turned off.

Weird design Kenwood!

Thanks for the help!

73 Chris VA7CAB