Author Topic: using cw on the remotes.  (Read 988 times)

Offline wb3hus

• Remote Enthusiast
using cw on the remotes.
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:01 pm »
can someone explain to me how to work cw on the various remotes that I have tx priviges??

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: using cw on the remotes.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 04:33:45 am »
If the remote is CW capable, you initiate CW, by simply typing in the CW window.

Kenwood and Elecraft are always CW capable. Other radios need special setup on the remote end, and they will have a dropdown named CW Method.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:43:13 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline kb8cr

• Just starting...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:52:09 am »
I am using the Beta client. To use paddle CW, I was looking for documentation on how to do that. It looks (from playing with the on screen controls) that a USB to Serial adapter is needed, and you just hook the lines of the paddle to the various lines on the DB9......Is this correct? How is sidetone generated, locally or AF from the radio?  I'm thinking the latency of AF would make sidetone from the radio hard to use. Any help? Thanks.

I'm going to my FLA QTH today, and something must have happened to my antenna system here, so my station will be unusable until I get back (I have RemoteRig on my IC7100 here), so I hope to use RemoteHams from there.

Charlie KB8CR

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 09:11:07 am »
You are correct on the wiring up of a serial port for paddle CW. In the External CW setup make sure you enable "Use RTS for Power".  RTS line will go to common on your paddle and DSR and DCD on the paddle contacts

With paddle CW, the Client will produce the sidetone if enabled in CW Config.

With your 7100 you will need to use a CW cable that operates the manual key input. Here's commercial one
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3XT1D87045

This is setup in the server under Radio Config->PTT and CW Keying. The commercial cable uses the DTR pin

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:14:20 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline kb8cr

• Just starting...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:18:36 am »
Thanks, Roger. Well, my 7100 will be out of service until I get back to my home QTH.....Delta loop snapped somewhere, and will take some time to repair. So, which I'm at our Florida QTH, I'm gonna use RemoteHams to play radio. I tried your station on SSB using a bluetooth headset and my laptop, and got very good reports. I'm mostly a CW OP, so this will be nice if I can make it work. I'll stop by the computer store today and get a USB to Serial adapter.

73 de Charlie KB8CR

Offline w3jvc

• Just starting...
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 01:35:49 pm »
I am doing it a bit different than the wiring techniques described above.  That is because I have a K3/0 Mini connected to my laptop that I connect to the remotes with. This device allows me to plug paddles or a key directly into it.  You will probably need handle the sidetone somehow - some remote servers allow you turn down the monitor via a slider - newer Elecraft firmware requires the sidetone to be turned down in the radio configuration.   I suspect that the device that Remotehams sells does the same thing.   I have an older laptop acting as my control station and I think I am overtaxing it -especially when using paddles.  I have just ordered faster hardware and suspect the paddles will be pretty seemless.