Author Topic: Rcforb And SPE Expert 2K - Problem  (Read 223 times)

Offline iz5dkj

• Remote Enthusiast
Rcforb And SPE Expert 2K - Problem
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:43:21 pm »
 Hi everyone, I installed an Expert 2kFA on my server, everything seems to work
But I have an error message that repeats itself indefinitely:
AmpError: Unable to parse status from Expert Amp.
I tried to change the door, to change baudrate but I could not find the problem.
Server Version: RCForb (v0.7.6426.18497)
OS Win 7 - 64.
Greetings

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: Rcforb And SPE Expert 2K - Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:08 am »
There are two issues here. First you need to update V9 of the client to properly display the Expert controls. This will not fix the parsing problem in the server.
http://download.remotehams.com/debug/RCForbClientSetup_v0.9.245.exe

Regarding the server problem, double check the serial port setting both the amp and RcForb server. Also do not run the Expert software at the same time as the server.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline iz5dkj

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the technical support.
As for the server side problem I did several tests, changed several settings, but I can not remove this error message.
I would think to add a new PCI-E usb card to see if there was any conflict or something like that.
The strange thing is that this error gives it to Federico IZ5IMD server while on my server the 2kfa works perfectly without any error message (win10 64).

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »
Double check the firmware versions. You friend may have an earlier version. There were some early firmware versions that won't work correctly. I can't remember what minimum version works. Make sure the version is the same or newer than yours.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline iz5dkj

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:55:42 am »
Hi Roger,
Thank you for the reply.
On both of the 2KFAs we have the latest firmware version, the 20_02_17_C / 3s.
Thank you

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:45:38 am »
I would concentrate on the serial port to the amplifier. If using Windows 7 or later, make sure you're not using a Prolific USB to Serial port. Best to use a USB to Serial port convertor based on the FTDI chip.

Other than that, I am out of ideas.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline iz5dkj

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 03:22:39 pm »
Ok Roger,
have an FTDI usb driver Version 2.6.0.0. on Windows 7 / 64.

I will soon install a PCIx card with other USB ports to see if the problem is a conflict.
thank you

Offline hb9azt

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:33:57 am »
Same Problem here on a I7 HP8300 SFF PC with updated win10 and ftdi-driver and newest firmware release on the k2-fa. Probably timing problem? Amp is connected to pc via usb, RS232 is not in use, bandswitching is done via acc-port and bcd-coding of k3 and yaesu-bcd-cat on the amp. Also tried several speed settings, but no success.

73 de Mark, HB9AZT

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 08:26:38 am »
For what it's worth on page 48 of the 2K manual, it seems the USB connector can be configured as a native USB port and a Serial Port (RS232). Looks like you need to use Experts software to enable/configure the USB port in such a manner (See Appendix A)

The manual states the specified baud rate is 115200.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:32:53 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline hb9azt

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:01:59 am »
Hi Roger

Thank you for checking the problem. I also studied the manual and there are two software applications to control the amp, one via USB/FTTDI-drivers and the other via the classic RS232-Port. The USB-Port has no dual-mode as you mentioned.  The USB-Software by SPE runs without any problems on the same pc and amp, but you have to feed the USB-Identifier to the software first to establish any communication to the amp. There is no data-traffic from and  to the amp without that identifier. To read the parameters from the amp, probably this identifier is also needed and should be stored in the com-defnition area, like port number or speed when attaching the amp via USB.

73 de Mark, HB9AZT

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 04:05:26 am »
If the USB port on the amplifier is just a straight USB port, why does Expert supply the USB to Serial port drivers from FTDI?

*****Update*****
This is a quote from a RemoteHams user that has an Expert Amp.
"The USB connector on the back of the amp is the comport that I use for remote hams. it's the same one that the software from expert amps talks to the amp on"
This indicates to me that the USB connector on the amp, can be configured as a serial port with the FTDI drivers.

Looking at the wiring for "Port Connector" on the amplifier, I see that Pins 2 and 3 are RX and TX respectively, but are labeled "Tunable Antenna" where as Pins 7 and 8 are labeled TX and RX Remoting use.  On a standard RS232 DB9 Pins 2 and 3 are TX and RX. Do you need  a special serial cable that uses pins 7 and 8 for the RS 232 connection?

Regarding USB-Identifier, all USB chips have a unique identifier, much like a mac address on network hardware. I think that step is for having multiple amps on the USB bus. Since we have Expert amps running on several remotes already, I really don't think that's the problem.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:21:26 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline hb9azt

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:39 am »
Hi Roger

I'm using the regular USB-connector at the back of the amplifier. Connecting this USB-cable to a pc installs a virtual FTDI com-port that can be selected in the remotehams server setup-for the amp. When starting the remotehams server, the amp delivers a status report and when operating, you have a feedback of the meters, but there is always this strange amp-parsing error overfilling the console screen. The genuine USB-control-software for the amp needs the hardware id, without the id, there is no communication with the amp. I don't use the physical RS232-port of the amp, all hardware RS232-ports at the pc are in other use.

73 de Mark, HB9AZT

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:15 am »
Can you connect to the amp with the RS232 software (Term_2K_RS232.exe)  supplied by Expert?

We must be missing something simple here!!!!

***Update ****
I have found a couple of posts on the RemoteRigs forums that seem to indicate some early (serial number < xxxx102) 2KFA's needed a hardware update for the RS-232 to function on the USB port.

The genuine USB-control-software for the amp needs the hardware id, without the id, there is no communication with the amp
I think that is due to the Term_USB software that Expert supplies is talking to the amp via the USB connector as a native USB connection, not as a RS232 connection.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:53:48 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline hb9azt

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 12:19:53 am »
Hi Roger

As I told, the amp can be controlled by the original USB-software and the RS232 software, Before the amp was installed at the remote site, I tried both of them and they work. As said, the USB-Software needs the identifier to establish a connection to the amp. Interesting fact that the remotehams server can establish the connection to the amp and get first status reports, the parse error appears later.

73 de Mark, HB9AZT

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:57:17 am »
The problem with the 2K-FA has been fixed and is on the download page

http://download.remotehams.com/download.php?dir=orb&file=RCForb_0.7.6438.exe
Roger
W8RJ