Author Topic: K3S RTS Power On  (Read 1380 times)

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
K3S RTS Power On
« on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »
I have a K3S using the USB port which transfers both the radio communications and the audio through the new KIO3B USB port on the radio.   However, I can't power the radio up using the RTS signal because I can't intercept the USB Comm port to send a pulse to the K3 ACC Pin 8.

I thought that I might allow configuring the "RTS for Power On" to use another comm port for the RTS (similar to the CW signal) to the K3 through the RCForb "Radio Connection" settings,, but there is no way to configure a different comm Port (besides the "Serial (COM) Port Configuration) for the "RTS for Power On".

I've worked with an IC-7300 which includes a parameter to grab the RTS and DTS parameters, but the K3S does not include such a feature, which might allow a remote power on signal.

Is there a way to use the USB port, or do I need to go back to the RS232 Comms and a use the Line-In/Line-Out for audio?
   I've done a search through the existing threads on the Server forum, but can't come up with anything.

I'm running 0.7.6357.231332 of the Server (just updated it to check for a change).

Mike, W0IH
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:23:57 pm by w0ih »

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
Re: K3S RTS Power On
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:49 am »
As far as I know, there is not a way to get to the RTS pin with the new USB port, other than doing some modification internally.

Another solution, besides reverting to RS232 and Line In/Out, would be to use a switch to operate an open collector switch. You could use the simple COMSWITCH, which allows you to control the RTS and DTR lines on a serial port.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:27:48 am »
Roger,

In your response: "COMSWITCH, which allows you to control the RTS and DTR lines on a serial port".  I don't understand what you mean.  The signal has to come from the same comm port.

Is there a way to duplicate the comms signal on two different comm ports in software, where I could grab the RTS and DTS from two different physical ports?

I'm running this off an old Acer Revo computer (XP) that just has USB ports, would it be possible to run the USB to the radio and USB serial converter (To grab RTS) off a home brew USB splitter?  (1 USB male from the computer , 2 USB female for the radio/converter.). The converter side to grab the RTS wouldn't have any TX/RX data.

Mike, W0IH

Mike

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:34:28 am »
"COMSWITCH" is the name of a switch driver in the server.

It would be separate serial port and you would turn on the K3 with the switch and turn off the radio with the power button on the radio skin.

You can't grab a RTS line from the USB connection, the RTS needs to be grabbed from the whatever USB to serial converter (serial port side) you're using.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:43:09 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline g4fre

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 02:27:41 pm »
Just encountered this issue with my K3S. Having got a usb converter with which I can toggle RTS, As far as i can see the ONLY place in RCFORB server to set "RTS for power on" is the radio configuration tab which only applies to the radios serial port (ie the k3s usb connection), there isnt a place where i can say "use RTS for power on say com32 (a non k3s com port). Perhaps this feature could be added?

Dave
g4fre

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:25:24 pm »
Here is how I have my K3S configured on the server (reference the attachement).  It works very well for me to turn the radio on.

Trouble is, you can't use the internal K3S USB connector for the RTS.  You must use another comm port. 
   Also, you can't use a different Comm Port for JUST the RTS, The Comms and RTS must be on the same port.  There is nowhere in the configuration to allow specifying one Comm Port for the Comms and another Comm Port for the RTS.

You CAN use the USB from the K3S for the Audio though, rather than using the Line In/Out.

Mike, W0IH

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:31:18 pm »
Another solution to use, is another serial port and select "COMSWITCH" as a switch. The COMSWITCH will have two buttons to raise or lower the RTS or DTR lines on the serial port.

Wire up the RTS or DTR line to short the correct pin the accessory connecter with a simple transistor switch. Then a couple of quick clicks on the switch will power up the K3.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:29:47 pm »
You cannot have that option though shut the radio off when the user disconnects, right?

It's an issue for me as I want the radio to control a relay to our antenna switch so when the K3 is off, the antennas switch is off (and grounded).

Tom NY4I

Another solution to use, is another serial port and select "COMSWITCH" as a switch. The COMSWITCH will have two buttons to raise or lower the RTS or DTR lines on the serial port.

Wire up the RTS or DTR line to short the correct pin the accessory connecter with a simple transistor switch. Then a couple of quick clicks on the switch will power up the K3.
Tom NY4I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:43:15 am »
The auto-power shutoff will still work. The K3 has a CAT command to turn the radio off, the suggested solution is just to turn the radio back on.

For your desire to ground an antenna when the radio is off, remember there is a +12v on the back of the K3 that is turned off with the radio.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:10:07 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ny4i

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 11:28:47 am »
Thanks. Thanks for the reminder that the serial power on is just that power on. Power off is handled differently. It's easy to forget that when thinking of power on/off as a toggle.

Is it true though that the POWER button can only be used for the RTS option though? We can't hook the POWER button to call the COMSWITCH. Is that correct?

I did plan on using the 12 V on back of the K3 to enable a relay to turn on the SixPak antenna switch. At least it will ground the antennas when no one is connected.

Tom NY4I
The auto-power shutoff will still work. The K3 has a CAT command to turn the radio off, the suggested solution is just to turn the radio back on.

For your desire to ground an antenna when the radio is off, remember there is a +12v on the back of the K3 that is turned off with the radio.
Tom NY4I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 12:08:04 pm »
Is it true though that the POWER button can only be used for the RTS option though? We can't hook the POWER button to call the COMSWITCH. Is that correct?

Yes the PWR button can only be used with the RTS option.

The comswitch option will show up as switch in the Client.
Roger
W8RJ