Author Topic: Google play - Android Client  (Read 602 times)

Offline vp9ni

• Just starting...
Google play - Android Client
« on: July 18, 2017, 06:21:29 pm »
Hi There,

I use the Windows client in Bermuda but cannot download the Android app in Bermuda.  Is there any way I can get the app for my phone here?   I know the app isn't available everywhere but I would hope that we're not excluded.  It's one of the main reasons I gave up my iPhone for an android based phone.

Thanks and 73

DE VP9NI

Offline w8rj

• Support Tech
  • Remote Master
Re: Google play - Android Client
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:19 am »
Not sure what may be causing the problem. Make sure your Google account is setup correctly.

It would be helpful if you explained the error in a little more detail.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:28:53 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline vp9ni

• Just starting...
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:50:49 am »
I have figured it out.  Because it's a paid app and there is no way to buy paid apps in Bermuda (without a VPN, US Credit card, residential address and the like) the google play store won't let me purchase it outside of places that have paid apps.  So unfortunately with my Bermuda based android phone I'm out of luck to download the client.

It's unfortunate but that's how it is for living on an (albeit beautiful) rock in the middle of the atlantic.

Thanks for the reply though - I'll see what I can figure out from here.

Offline w2sfd

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:29:30 pm »
I'd suggest contacting the nice devs and seeing if you can arrange payment for the apk, then sideload it onto your device. 

Offline j69cu

• Just starting...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »
I Live in Saint Lucia in the Caribbean and have the same problem. Grateful for a solution

Offline w3msh

• Remote Enthusiast
    • William "Bill" Kisse
PROBLEM SOLVED! Google play - Android Client
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 05:52:16 am »
Remotehams is eligible for "family" downloads in Google Play.

This is NOT an attempt at circumventing payment for the software - the developers respectfully deserve compensation for their time to make this available to us!  And at ten bucks a wonderful value.

Google Play allows you to assign up to FIVE email addresses on Google Play as "family" members.

When you link these accounts to yours your subscription can be SHARED among all "family" accounts without further payment.

You can then make payment to the developers via PayPal.   Can anyone confirm the PayPal address to send payment?

PLEASE...do this only as a last resort in this situation. 

More information about Google family assignments here:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/6286986?hl=en

My most sincere thanks for the efforts of our Remotehams developers - this has truly enhanced MY enjoyment of our hobby and its value should be actively promoted among our Amateur Radio community!

My apologies if this "work-around" causes our developers any heartburn...

Bill
W3MSH

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:36 am »
You must purchase the Andriod app through the Google Play store.
Google has control over app sales/refunds.
It is just the nature of Google Play market place.

Sending money to the dev via PayPal will be considered a donation and not a purchase.

Offline w3msh

• Remote Enthusiast
    • William "Bill" Kisse
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:58:05 pm »
Assuming that payment cannot be made otherwise, if an international user is part of a family plan then able to download the software without payment through the Play Store this user can still send you payment via PayPal, yes?

IMHO, whether it's a purchase or donation it's still payment fairly made.

I want to make sure you are paid for your work, and if the end-user is unable to download Remotehams that there may be a work-around.

Honestly, considering the beautiful and robust interface you've created I'm surprised that you don't have many, many more users.

Kudos well deserved.

Offline w8rj

• Support Tech
  • Remote Master
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:13 am »
If you look at Googles family plan, all persons in the family plan must reside in the same country and be in a country in the approved list.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7007852?hl=en
Roger
W8RJ