Author Topic: Server: What do each of the permissions do?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline we9v

• Remote Enthusiast
Server: What do each of the permissions do?
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:28:53 am »
The user contributed Server manual doesn't go into detail about what each of the settings do.
The there is no context-sensitive help in the server program.
The Help>User Manual menu item tells me I need Acrobat Reader (which I already have) and doesn't load a help file.
In searching the forums, I couldn't find enough information.
Therefore, I'm asking here.

Please define what each of the following does/means and/or allows/denies:
Require Login to Tune
Guests Not Allowed
Auto Restrict Remote to
TX Allowed
Club Mode
Privacy From Guests

It's not very clear from just the labels who can do what, with or without explicit approvals from the remote owner, and what differentiates each of the options from each other.  Also, please address which options allow access:  Tuning, TXing, and side panel functions (moving rotator, amplifier functions, switch/KAT500).

Thanks!!
Chad WE9V

Offline w0ih

• Remote Master
Re: Server: What do each of the permissions do?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:52:59 pm »
Maybe I can help here:

Require Login to Tune: 
  Unchecked, anyone that is connected to the server can "Tune" (Tune = Change the Radio frequency).

Guests Not allowed:
  If checked, a guest (no Club or TX privleges) the user cannot log in to the server.

Auto Restrict Remote
  This grants override privileges to Club Members and members with TX permission, if a guests is logged in.
    As soon as the privileged user logs out, then the guest can tune the radio again.

TX Allowed
   The Server is capable of transmitting to anyone that is granted TX Privileges.

Club Mode
   Server allows ONLY Club Members to use the Server.

Privacy from Guests
   Guests may log into the Server (to request permission) but are not allowed to Tune the Server.

NOTE: CLUB Mode and TX Allowed is granted only by the Administrators of the Server.
   When a user opens the Server, he can try to TUNE or TX and a popup will appear.  The user can then request permission of the Server Admin (his call will show up in the "Club" or "TX" list box on the Server.  It is up to the Admin to Approve or Deny the user permission.  Typically this may be granted if the user has uploaded a copy of his FCC Amateur Radio License to RemoteHams.com and if the users qualify for TX or Club status.

Along with the Club and TX approval, the Admin can also approve users for other options that may exist on a system such as:
  Amplifier
  Rotor
  Switch (used for Power On/Off if necessary, Antenna Switching, or other functions as needed)

It is ALSO possible for the Admin to open the "User Manager" type in the user name (Call) and approve both Club And/Or TX privileges.  NOTE that the Admin can also approve others for "Admin" privileges from this same page.

Another minor detail, Users listed in the lower right corner of the Client, the (A) indicates ADMIN and the (X) indicates Transmit privileges.

I hope I have this stuff right, if not, could someone please correct me?
Mike
  W0IH

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:06:19 pm »
Here let me edit it just a bit

Require Login to Tune: 
If checked, a user requires a RemoteHams account to login and tune the radio.

Guests Not allowed:
If checked, users without a RemoteHams account can't connect. Guest's are shown a Guest-XX.

Auto Restrict Remote
If TX or Club user logs in, and there are others logged in without TX or Club, the non TX and non Club  member cannot tune the radio. When the last TX or Club member logs out, the non TX and non Club user may tune the radio.

If the server is run in the Club mode AND "Privacy from Guests" is enable AND "Guests not Allowed"  is enabled, when a non-club user tries to connect, they will be given the option of requesting Club and will be disconnected from the remote after a few seconds.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:31:48 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline we9v

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:00:41 pm »
Thanks, that is quite helpful.  That said, it seems like some of the options are mutually exclusive (yet can check both boxes), such as "Require Login to Tune" and "Club Mode".  If you are in Club Mode, then "Require Login to Tune" doesn't matter, as they won't be allowed to tune.  I guess that's what makes it confusing.  You could have one thing checked that doesn't make sense if you have another option checked.

Maybe it would be easier to understand if there was a single selection instead of all those check boxes, grouped something like this, like security levels.  This is from wide open to locked down:
  • Guests and Logged in users can tune
    ("Guests not allowed" unchecked, "Require Login to Tune" unchecked, "Club Mode" unchecked)
  • Guests and Logged in users can listen, but must request Club access to tune
    ("Guests not allowed" unchecked, "Require Login to Tune" do-not-care, "Club Mode" checked)
  • Guests not allowed, Logged in users can only listen and can request Club access to tune
    ("Guests not allowed" checked, "Require Login to Tune" do-not-care, "Club Mode" checked)
  • Guests not allowed, any Logged in user can tune
    ("Require Login to Tune" checked, "Club Mode" unchecked)
  • Only Club members can access server
    ("Require Login to Tune" do-not-care, "Club Mode" checked)

Or maybe a little more simple, these functions should grouped into a few groups of select-only-one button:

Guests (no remotehams.com account):
  • Not Allowed, can't connect
  • Can Listen
  • Can Tune
Users Logged in with remotehams.com account, and not Club Member:
  • Not Allowed, can't connect
  • Can Listen and request Club Membership
  • Can Tune (without having Club membership, thereby negating a need for Club Mode)
Of course, you'd still have Club members (those who can tune), and TX (those who can TX)

Offline w0trd

• Just starting...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:14:41 am »
so just when do i get these permissions to join the club so i can xmit?
license uploaded,send emails,,,send requests,,,and i hear nothing.
great swl site, but right now does not appear worth the money i spent on it.

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 05:10:08 am »
It's up to the individual remote owner to grant or deny permission for users.

I see you have logged into my remote a few times, but never requested permission to transmit. I have given you permission.

If a remote is setup for Club, to request Club, try operating any control other than the TX button. To request TX, click on the TX button.

Roger
W8RJ

Offline k7az

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:36:06 am »
Is the user check box for TUNER for an external tuner or radio internal tuner?
Thank you, K7AZ

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 08:12:17 am »
External tuner.  If a radio has a Tune or M-Tune button, the user need TX permission to use that button. Basically any control on the radio that will cause the radio to put RF out a user needs TX permission.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline w6ogc

• Just starting...
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:09:13 pm »
After tx permission is requested, when and how is the granting of permission communicated?

How long is it good for?

Online w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:35:58 pm »
If you have an (X) before your name you have transmit privileges. A (C) before the name indicates Club privileges.  They stay in effect until the owner rescinds them.
Roger
W8RJ