Author Topic: Obtaining an Official license from FCC ULS  (Read 7514 times)

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
Obtaining an Official license from FCC ULS
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:28:41 pm »
Use this link to log into the ULS. You will need your FRN number and password.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp

After you click on download in the last step, you should be prompted to save or open the pdf file with your license.

The pdf file you obtain from the FCC has a security setting that prevents it from being directly uploaded to RemoteHams.com  You will need to convert it to an acceptable graphic format (jpg is recommended) and the file size needs to be less than 2 MB. If you don't have any software to convert the pdf, simply take a picture of it with a camera.

Save the converted pdf in a convenient place, so you can find it to upload to remotehams.com

Roger
W8RJ
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:15:28 am by w8rj »
Roger
W8RJ

Offline k4acf

• Just starting...
Re: Obtaining an Official license from FCC ULS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:22:04 pm »
Thank you Roger
I was able to download the one you say I need. I tried to upload the pdf file to the site but it said there was a problem in uploading. I'm wondering if the fact that I have the other document which the ULS sent me already in the system is causing a problem in my uploading the correct one??? If so how do I remove that one so I can load the proper one.
Al Schmidt  k4acf

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:41:19 am »
The problem is the security settings in the PDF itself.  The PDF is created is a way that it can not be converted or copied. (You can find this if you look at the properties of the PDF.)

For now, you will have to take a screenshot of the PDF to convert it to an image and then upload.

Offline ki4ecy

• Just starting...
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:27:08 am »
About how long does it take for approval after you upload your license???

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:21:58 am »
Uploading a license doesn't grant you transmit privileges. It's to let remote owners verify that you have a license.

To request transmit privileges on a remote, click the TX button, and answer the pop up message. Depending on the remote you may have to request Club privileges too. You do that by clicking on any button.

It's up to the individual remote owner to grant TX and or Club privileges.
Roger
W8RJ

Offline adie23

• Just starting...
  • E.t Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 05:31:07 pm »
How can i get the licence ?

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:21:29 am »
If you are in the USA, you'll need to find a local testing session to take the test.
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

You may want to practice / study for your license.
https://hamexam.org/

If you are outside of the USA, please search for a local amateur club or individual to assist with obtaining a license.

Offline ce4bjs

• Just starting...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:52:22 pm »
I'm in CE (Chile), and uploaded a .jpg of my licence.

Offline k0rfh

• Just starting...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:55:06 pm »
Hi all,

You can also print this to another PDF and it will remove the password requirement and set the security settings back to normal.  Then you should be able to upload that copy.  Or..  just print it out and scna it if you have the ability

RJ
K0RFH

Offline ne2i

• Just starting...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 12:35:45 pm »
so I pulled a copy of my license off the ULS website and submitted it. I still have the Upload Amateur License showing. How long does this take to get approved?

Offline k0jd

• Just starting...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:55 pm »
Things have definitely changed since this thread started in 2015! Today a PDF printer is built into Windows 10, and a print to PDF option is available in Google Chrome. I had no issue printing to a pdf directly from ULS.

K0JD

Offline m3ghe

• Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:43:23 pm »
Things have definitely changed since this thread started in 2015! Today a PDF printer is built into Windows 10, and a print to PDF option is available in Google Chrome. I had no issue printing to a pdf directly from ULS.

K0JD
Windows 10 had a PDF printer at its launch in 2015, come to that some of the preview builds from the 'Insider' programme had it in 2014. 
The problem wasn't the ability to download or print the PDF it was the security settings applied to the file when the ULS created it preventing it being uploaded to the RemoteHams. To be honest it's not a major issue and it only affects US hams, nobody else.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:48:10 pm by m3ghe »

Offline w5pla

• Just starting...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:28 am »
I was able to open it in Abode reader, and then "print" it using a PDF printer to create a PDF copy that does not have the security settings included.

Philip
KG5UBL -> W5PLA

Offline ky9i

• Just starting...
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 08:31:12 am »
I already had an official copy of this type downloaded a couple of years ago which was the correct size as well as a jpeg. However, I could not upload it. I followed these steps exactly with a "fresh' download from the FCC and it was accepted the 1st time. Obviously I do not know why, but I am posting this in case another Ham has this perplexing issue too! 73s KY9I

Offline w8rj

• Remote Master
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 10:02:47 am »
Some browsers will not update the picture of the license when you are uploading a new license. Usually a quick refresh (F5) of the browser will show the new image.
Roger
W8RJ