Author Topic: Canada - USA operating question  (Read 3158 times)

Offline ve1syn

• Just starting...
Canada - USA operating question
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:18:49 pm »
Hi all, just wondering if a canadian ham would still need to get a IARP permit or CEPT permit to operate remote stations in the US considering the automatic reciprocal operating agreement already in place or is a canadian license alone generally enough ?

Offline w8rj

• Support Tech
  • Remote Master
Re: Canada - USA operating question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:21:44 pm »
Just a Canadian license is sufficient for US operations.

Roger
W8RJ
Roger
W8RJ

Offline ve1syn

• Just starting...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:45:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply on this! I Figured that a canadian license alone was enough but i wasn't sure so i figured i should ask and be sure, better safe than sorry!

Offline ve9cb

• Just starting...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:41:39 pm »
Roger's answer may not be correct.

Under the Canada-US Treaty of 1952 ( https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01222.html ), the sections related to Amateur Radio refer to visitors from one country on the territory of the other. 

Article III

It is agreed that persons holding appropriate amateur licenses issued by either country may operate their amateur stations in the territory of the other country under the following conditions:
a.Each visiting amateur may be required to register and receive a permit before operating any amateur station licensed by his government.
b.The visiting amateur will identify his station by: 1.Radiotelegraph operation — The amateur call sign issued to him by the licensing country followed by a slant (/) sign and the amateur call sign prefix and call area number of the country he is visiting.
2.Radio telephone operation — The amateur call sign in English issued to him by the licensing country followed by the words "fixed", "portable" or "mobile", as appropriate, and the amateur call sign prefix and call area number of the country he is visiting.
c.Each amateur station shall indicate at least once during each contact with another station its geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state or city and province.
d.In other respects the amateur station shall be operated in accordance with the laws and regulations of the country in which the station is temporarily located.

The treaty never considered, and did not address remote operating.  The treaty only addressed visitors from one country on the territory of the other. 

CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 and the International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) also only discuss visiting Amateurs and did not consider or address remote operating.

You cannot visit another country without crossing a border and entering the other country's territory.  Virtual visiting is not visiting at all.

I suggest the Canada-US Treaty does not apply to remote operating and neither do CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01, or the IARP.

If you want to operate a transmitter in the US from abroad, you should earn a US licence. 

Dave VE9CB and W8SR