Author Topic: Brandon, KG6YPI & family Flooded out of house  (Read 4680 times)

Offline wa6lie

• Just starting...
Brandon, KG6YPI & family Flooded out of house
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »
Our very good friend Brandon, KG6YPI-- LPRC Member, Elecraft designer, and author and founder of RemoteHams.com -- suffered a severe personal setback last Thursday when his home was one of 15 in Salinas that went partially under a blackwater flood when a small creek behind the neighborhood breached its levee in a couple of places.  Brandon, wife Kelly, and little ones Emma and Amy were displaced from their home just a couple of weeks before Christmas, and the home and its contents sustained major flood damage, made even worse by septic effluent in the floodwaters.  Not a pretty scene at all!  See the photo in the link.

This was widely reported on in local Monterey Bay regional media.  Although flood insurance will cover the Dwelling damage up to limits, there's no coverage at all for any of the family's personal property (kid's toys, radio equipment, computers, etc.) or temporary living expenses.  Scott, WA6LIE, reported seeing an image in the media of little Amy's Big Wheel floating down the street!

Audrey, KI6OYS, and I have put together a GoFundMe donation campaign site to benefit Brandon and his family in their time of need.  Let's pull together as a community to support our friend and his family!  Any donation--large or small--will help.    Thanks in advance, all, and please contact me, Brandon or Scott if you have questions or wish to help out in other ways.  I will likewise announce on tonight's net, and perhaps Steve can mirror this announcement and link over to our LPRC.net website (TNX, Steve).

Best 73, and Merry Christmas from Reno

Click here to support Hansen Family California Flood Fund by John Hagerty 
http://www.gofundme.com/ixs5rs

All donations to my K3 radio will be sent to Brandon's Flood fund.

73, Scott WA6LIE

Offline m3ghe

• Remote Master
    • Barney's online radios
Re: Brandon, KG6YPI & family Flooded out of house
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:21 pm »
Scott, thank you for this information. Thank god they are all OK.
Please keep us informed as to the situation.

Offline kg6ypi

• Administrator
  • Remote Master
    • RemoteHams.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:39:12 pm »
Thank you to all for helping get through this tuff time.

Offline zl2tze

• Remote Master
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »
Very sorry to here of this and at this time of year , my thoughts are with you and your family Brandon .

Wishing you a Merry Xmas and a good out come to the flooding .

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE

Offline hb9alh

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:19:34 am »
Scott

Thanks for having set up this donation platform.
This will give Branson at least something back for his great effort he did for Ham community

73 de Bernard
HB9ALH

Offline kc7byp

• Remote Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 01:16:19 am »
Scott, thank you for the info. And yes thank god they are all OK. Now I understand why when I started using the remote base prog again.  I didn't see  kg6ypi's station on the remote base list.  I wish I could help by sending some money.  But I live on SSDI disabilty.  I also know how it is to lose everything.  In 2010 we let a person that we though we could trust come and live with us during his hard times.  We didn't find out in time to stop it. He is a big time meth and other street drugs user and was making meth in the garage that was made into a den while we were gone.  My self, my room mate, his wife and son. We went for the weekend to the Sea-Pac hamfest.  By the time we got back from  Sea-Pac in SeaSide Oregon the damage was done.  The house and everything in it had to be scraped and dumped in a class 1 hazardous wast dump.  All we had left was what we took to Sea-Pac,  my 2000 Dodge Caravan with my mobile setup in it and what few things I got at Sea-Pac. We ended up motel hopping for a year and a half because the landlord did a dirty trick on us by putting an unlawful detainer on our recorders because he lost his house. So no one would rent to us.  The veterans administration finely stepped in and got us into an apt.

Steve
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:19:18 am by kc7byp »
Steve KC7BYP
I have an AA degree in Electronics, 2 way radio, tv, vcr and windows based computer repair. Now I am learning the Android operating system. I am also into flying R/C helicopters.